Guest Blog - Travel writer, author and mum Alice Griffin
Starting out life as one proto-type bag, designed to simplify the lives of parents, PacaPod began as the twinkle in the eye of our mumpreneur inventor Jacqueline Waggett. Her aim was to inspire parents and give them the tools and confidence to carry on having adventures with their children. The rest of course is history, with 11 styles to choose from, a host of coveted awards and a growing army of celebrity fans - it’s been a heck of a journey! And along the way we’ve been fortunate to meet some inspirational people too, amongst them author and travel writer Alice Griffin, whose book will have you reaching for your walking boots, car keys and map before the kids can say “Are we there yet?”.
We caught up with Alice during her month long trip with her family around Portugal and Northern Spain where she took time out to share her travel secrets with us.
Five Holiday Must-Haves
I’m a simple traveller but I can’t manage without these!
1) Audio books (Roald Dahl is a favourite) and I-pod for my daughter, as we inevitably always end up doing long journeys.
2) Books! I have finally relented and bought a Kobo because I just couldn't justify lugging a load of books in my backpack! (Mind you I did sneak in just a couple of 'real' books!)
3) Pack of cards. My six-year-old daughter is really into cards at the moment and they have been a life-saver waiting for connecting buses during this trip.
4) Tiny figurine toys. When we flew into Malaga airport my daughter had emptied her backpack and set up a stage with all her mini-toys within minutes of leaving the airport as we waited for our bus. Always keeps her happy and her imagination exercised!
5) Phrase-books. I always have one with me for whichever country I am visiting. My Spanish and Portuguese books have certainly been well-used for getting us about on this trip!
Best Travel Tip
I really don't think you need that much - anything you forget, well you can pick it up when you're at your destination. I travel light and don't really worry.
Best Holiday Memory
That's a really difficult one! But basically, give me a ticket to a destination, a backpack and a map, and I am happy. I love any holiday which offers the thrill of the unknown.
Favourite Family Destination
It has to be Greece. My daughter loves the beach, we love the food, the Greeks LOVE children and the scenery and weather is always spectacular it’s the perfect combination to keep all the family happy.
Staying Sane with Kids in Tow
I generally find travelling with my daughter a pleasure, but when I find myself going a bit crazy it’s usually because she’s bored and therefore fidgety. I find visiting local kid's parks - wherever we are - is the perfect solution. She always makes friends and gives me a time out! That or find a beach - any beach - and just let her run wild for a bit while I read my book!
For more practical advice visit Alice’s website where you’ll find details of her book ‘Tales of a travelling mum’ and lots more travel inspiration www.alicegriffin.co.uk
Alice used a PacaPod Picos Pack (rucksack) when her daughter was a tot and still loves it now she’s older but for this trip she took our Portland messenger, with its clever expansion panel. Take a look at our packing tips for find out what you can fit inside the detachable pods http://www.pacapod.com/about/owners-manual